The American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese, with its headquarters located in Johnstown, PA , is under the canonical protection of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Orthodox Christian Church was born on Pentecost in AD 33 with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles (see Acts 2:2-4). Through the missionary labors and martyric witness of countless men and women, the apostolic faith spread to every corner of the world: first the Near East, then Europe, Africa, and Asia. Orthodoxy was planted in North America in the late 18th century by monastic missionaries from Russia. Today the worldwide Orthodox Church has more than 250 million members. Each national Church (Russian, Greek, Serbian, etc.) is independent and self-administering, but united in faith and sacraments with all the others. Some five million Orthodox from diverse ethnic backgrounds now live in the United States and Canada.
The American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese was established in 1938 by His All-Holiness, the late Benjamin I, Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, under the Patriarchal Seal in the official Patriarchal Document listed under Protocol No. 1379 and dated September 19, 1938, and was canonized in the name of the Holy Orthodox Church of Christ. The Diocese was incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1950.
ORGANIZATION AND STRUCTURE
The American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A. is composed of fourteen regional deaneries (districts): Canada, Chicago, Florida, Johnstown (PA), Mid-Atlantic, New England, New Jersey, New York, Pittsburgh, Pocono, Southern Tier, Tri-State, Washington, D.C., and Youngstown. It is overseen by the ruling Bishop with the assistance of the Diocesan Consistory (senior priests specially selected for their pastoral experience), regional Deans and the Diocesan Board of Trustees.
There are 81 parishes in the United States and Canada, 91 priests and approximately 8,500 faithful in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the U.S.A. The diocese is under the canonical protection of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
Originally founded by immigrants from the Carpatho-Rusyn regions of present-day Slovakia, Poland and Western Ukraine, the diocese today is comprised of peoples of all ethnic backgrounds, many of whom are converts to the faith.
The Mission of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese is to honor and glorify Almighty God; to foster love for the Saviour of mankind, Jesus Christ, the Son of God; and to continue the redemptive and life-giving work of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ amongst all peoples living in North America.
Building on the strong foundation of the faith and piety of its Carpatho-Rusyn ancestors in the faith, The American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese is committed to sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with all who seek to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth, in accordance with the doctrine, discipline, canons and rites of the Holy Orthodox Church.
The clergy and faithful of the diocese labor to fulfill this mission on a daily basis through their active participation in the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church, and by supporting and assisting the various educational, outreach and philanthropic ministries of the diocese.